About New Horizons Grants
The Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana Foundation recognizes the need to foster innovation as means of improving health and wellbeing in Louisiana. Through this program, we hope to encourage a research-based and scientific approach to philanthropy through testing ideas and seeing what works. The first step in that process is challenging the status quo with new ideas.
Our goal is to find exciting, emerging ideas and social startups that have the potential to disrupt negative trends in health, education and other issues that directly impact quality of life for Louisianians. A successful New Horizons project may make changes in policies, norms practices and social supports; it may also be a new pilot intervention, plan or approach to solving an existing issue.
- Purpose – Grants help pilot innovative, proof of concept projects aimed at improving the health and wellbeing of Louisianians
- Amount – Grants up to $10,000 are made in support of projects that take less than one year to complete
- Eligibility – Only Louisiana-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations may apply
- Applying – Letters of Intent must be submitted online at bcbslafoundation.org on or before the below deadlines
- Letter of Intent Deadlines – March 15, June 15, September 15, December 15
Read this before you apply for a New Horizons grant:
The New Horizons grant program is for new, experimental ideas. Grants are given to promote innovation by funding brand new pilot projects through their first year.
– You should apply for a New Horizons grant if:
- You have a narrow, specific problem you’re trying to solve; AND
- You are presenting a new and innovative approach to solving that issue.
– All New Horizons applications must:
- Explain how your proposal is a new, innovative approach to solving the problem you have identified above; AND
- Explain how you are substantially revising or altering an existing best practice, such that your proposal represents a new approach.
– We do not fund New Horizons proposals for the following:
- Existing programs or ongoing organizational support
- Existing best practices support
- Replicating or expanding a program or approach that already exists.
Due to the overwhelming amount of applications, we are not able to evaluate or provide feedback for New Horizons grant Letters of Intent that do not meet the above criteria.